Issued at 3:06 pm Thursday, 6 September 2018: The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for DAMAGING WINDS and HEAVY RAINFALL for people in North East and parts of Northern Country and North Central Forecast Districts.
Weather Situation: Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Shepparton, Seymour, Wodonga, Wangaratta, Bright and Mt Buller.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
* Be alert that in areas recently affected by fires, heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* If you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* Listen to the radio for storm updates
* Switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:10 pm. Warnings are also available through the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217.